Logical Developments is a small but dynamic company, always with a variety of projects on the board, including major on-going projects.
We are not currently advertising any positions. However, we do assess applications if they meet all the criteria as set out in the Application Process below. Successful applicants are listed and notified when work becomes available. In the past, several programmers have joined our team this way. We shall only assess those with some experience in one or more of the following: Omnis, PHP, Delphi, VB, Java.
The product used for most of our programming is Omnis Studio, which is a rapid application development environment. The software has a built-in database engine, object oriented design, and is cross platform. In the office we primarily develop on Macs, although our client base includes users of Mac/Windows/Linux.
Although not widely used in Perth, Omnis’ mother company TigerLogic (ex Raining Data) serve more than a half million active users, representing over 20,000 unique customer sites worldwide. Logical Developments has been acknowledged as an Omnis success story. The write-up on their website gives you some insight into Logical Developments and the work we do.
Below is a task which we ask you to do as part of our application process. The reason why we set such a task is to get an appreciation of your programming style and ability, something a resume cannot reflect. This test proves to us that:
- you are self motivated.
- able to work to a deadline.
- prioritise your work.
- produce a solution in the given timeframe.
- work unsupervised under pressure.
- find solutions to any problem you encounter.
- conceptualise the big picture, and then
- break down the task into parts and solve each part in the correct order.
We will evaluate your response and solution and discuss it with you. That will determine your acceptance for a position, and/or your addition to our team of casual programmers. We can make no promises: however, doing this task can only enhance your ability as a programmer, whether that be for Logical Developments or some other company.
- Download the latest version of Omnis Studio from TigerLogic. They offer a fully functional evaluation version on their website.
- Become acquainted with the software by downloading the ‘Introduction to Omnis Studio’ tutorial from the Omnis website. There is also a New Users section, available from the Tools menu (inside the Omnis application) which has some helpful code examples.
- When you think you understand how it all fits together, have a go at building a small application (should take no more than 2 days). We suggest something like a time/work planner that allows you to: Enter clients, employees, jobs, and task information. Record the number of hours worked against each task etc using a palette type window. (The window should have some drop down lists to select client, job, task, and have a button to start/stop the timer) Print a summary of hours, subtotalled by client.
- On completing this task, email Caroline – email@example.com Please include in your email:
- A brief introduction of how you heard of Logical Developments.
- Outline the time that it took to: download Studio, familiarize yourself with it, and how long it took to code the solution.
- Attach a zipped archive containing:
- Your resume.
- Your solution to the set task (.lbs file)
- The data file you have created to demonstrate your solution (.df1 file)
- Your (short) specification (ie your planning) of the solution and a brief self-analysis of how you adhered to it, or didn’t. (Specifications can ‘evolve’ as you discover ‘plan A’ doesn’t work as anticipated.)